We had a jam lesson from Sandra Houchin, the Jam Queen! Sandra showed us how to make, and can, cooked jam. We made strawberry and pineapple - strawberry. Yum! Sandra uses the "SUREJELL" fruit pectin, which has a whole bunch of recipes in the package, and complete instructions. They also have recipes and directions on their website (click here) if you are interested in making some of your own, and want to see what you need to get started. Also, Sandra has offered to COME to YOUR HOUSE and help YOU make jam, if would like! That's so great, thanks Sandra!
After lots of stirring and boiling (not really THAT much, maybe 20 minutes worth), the jam is ready to go into the jars. Ladle HOT jam into clean jars. You keep the lids and rings in a simmering pot of water to steralize them and get the seals soft...
This is the COOLEST part, I thought. Sandra taught us the INVERSION method of canning - SO EASY!!! To seal the jars, all you do is flip them over like this and let them sit for 30 minutes or more. THAT'S IT! The hot jam on the lid seals it. Isn't that so great? You don't need a water bath and bla bla bla. Just flip them over, and make sure the lid doesn't go in and out, it should stay put. I love that, thanks Sandra! So easy. 



Okay, I'll start! I made jam today! We went and picked our own strawberries at Thompson's strawberry farm in Wisconsin. I made strawberry-blueberry "freezer" jam, which is a little easier than the cooked kind, and you just put it in any kind of container to be frozen until you want to use it. I also took the plunge and canned my own cooked jam. I made triple berry jam - strawberry, raspberry, blackberry. YUM! For both I used the low sugar pectin, so you use a couple cups less sugar, and it's SOOO delicious! I love the inversion thing Sandra showed us, it worked great!
ReplyDelete