Ingredients:
1 pound tomatillos
1 jalapeno pepper
a big handful of cilantro
salt
2 T. corn oil
2 t. chicken bouillon
1 t. sugar
12 corn tortillas
more oil for frying
3-4 cups of shredded mexian blend cheese
1 cup minced onions
shredded lettuce and sour cream for serving, if desired
This is what the tomatillos look like at Wal-mart (they are on the refrigerated produce wall, by the green peppers, and right above the jalapenos). They have a husk on them when you buy them. Remove the husks before you are going to use them, and wash them.
Directions:
Place washed tomatillos in a pot and cover with water. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the jalapeno (she added it later, not sure why!) and continue to boil, reduce heat, until very soft. Drain. Put in blender or food processor. Depending on how much "heat" you want, only add 1/4 to 1/2 of the jalapeno (When I made them, I did about 1/4 and it was not hot at all. I would go for 1/2 next time). Add the handful of cilantro, and some salt (1/2 t.?), and puree.
Prepare cheese filling by combining shredded cheese and minced onions.
Remove sauce from heat. Heat more oil in a skillet over high heat. When oil is hot, dip a tortilla in the sauce and then fry in oil for about 10-20 seconds on each side. Remove to platter and fill with cheese mixture. Put in serving dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas and cheese. Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas and serve with shredded lettuce and sour cream.
I FINALLY made these tonight! They weren't as good as Sister Aviles' enchiladas. I had trouble frying the tortillas- they just fell apart completely in the oil. So I just dipped in the sauce and then wrapped the enchiladas. I stuck them in the oven for 10 minutes for a little more baking. The corn flavor in the tortillas was still pretty strong. Next time I might just use flour tortillas. Also, I would make an extra 1/2 batch of the sauce because I wanted more to pour over the top- the sauce was delicious!
ReplyDelete